The Department of Cardiology at SPS Centre of Heart Sciences has earned its reputation as a leader in treating cardiac diseases and ailments and offering innovative track record of best treatment outcomes and volumes.
It is the sub-speciality of cardiology dealing with the diagnosis, medical and surgical treatment of adult patients with acute and chronic forms of cardiovascular diseases such as coronary artery disease, angina and congenital heart diseases by insertion of catheters in the blocked arteries.
The majority of interventional cardiology procedures are performed in the cardiovascular (Heart,Veins and Arteries) system. Most interventional cardiology procedures are considered to be minimally invasive because they do not require an instrument to enter the body or large incisions (most incisions are approximately 1 inch). These procedures usually involve the insertion of a catheter (hollow tube) into the femoral artery in the upper leg. The catheter is guided toward the heart or vascular area through the use of real-time X-ray.
Some of the advantages of minimally invasive interventional cardiology are decreased pain, less risk of infection, avoidance of large scars and shorter postoperative recovery times. In many instances, patients are awake during the procedure, requiring only a local anesthetic.
Additionally, many procedures are performed on an outpatient basis, allowing patients to go home within hours of the procedure.
At SPS Heart Centre, we offer treatment for a wide range of cardiac conditions ranging from less severe cardiac conditions such as angina pectoris to the more serious heart ailments such as myocardial infarction. All of our catheterization and electrophysiology labs are equipped with advanced technology, including digital subtraction imaging, intravascular ultrasound, intracardiac echocardiography, and coronary flow wire, all of which enhance accuracy and accessibility of data for physicians caring for our patients.
The Interventional Cardiology procedures carried out include:
- Angiography & Angioplasty
- Percutaneous valvular procedures
- Aortic Aneurysm repair surgery
- Renal and Carotid Angioplasty
- Device Closure of Congenital Heart defects
It is the branch of Cardiology dealing with the diagnosis and treatment of disorders related to heart rhythm. Few of EP procedures available at the hospital include:
- Electrophysiology Study (EP Study) - It is a test done to record the electrical activity as well as electrical pathways of the heart. It helps in determining the cause of the disturbance in one's heart rhythm and accordingly the treatment is suggested. The EP procedure involves reproduction of abnormal heart rhythm followed by administration of medication to test which medicine can best control it. The procedure thus helps in determining abnormal heart rhythm, its cause and the device or procedure which can best control the patient's heart rhythm.
- Pacemaker Implantation - It is a surgical procedure in which a small electrical device called pacemaker is fitted in the chest of a patient to keep the heart beat normal.
- Resynchronization Therapy - It is a procedure which helps in improving the heart's ability to pump blood and oxygen to the body by implanting a small sized pacemaker just below the collarbone to help the heart beat in a more synchronized pattern.
This focuses on providing diagnosis, medical management and prevention of cardiovascular diseases.
- Stress Echo
- Vascular Doppler
Programs such as
- Executive Cardiac Health Check
- CT Coronary Angiography
Preventive & Rehabilitative Cardiology
The department offers services to patients who have a high risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. The customized programs offered for each individual may include nutritional services, exercise programs, diagnostic programs, heart disease risk reduction programs and vascular rehabilitation programs.