Dr. Hardev Ramandeep Singh Girn has finished his surgical training and fellowships from UK. Dr. Girn moved back to Punjab to pursue his passion for developing complex liver cancer surgery and liver transplantation, which was rudimentary at that stage in 2013.
Dr. Girn’s passion lies in systematic development of individualized high-quality evidence-based care for patients suffering from liver and gastro cancers. His special interest is in caring for cirrhotic patients and taking them on the journey to cure via liver transplantation. On average over 50 to 75 such complex liver and pancreatic procedures are performed per year now in SPS making it one of the highest volume centers in the region for liver cancer surgery.
Development of liver transplantation has been particularly challenging in the absence of cadaveric organ donation in Punjab and he has been working relentlessly to set up systems in the state for organ donation (First in DMCH and now in SPS hospitals).
On a personal front, Dr. Girn’s keen interests include motorbiking, traveling, and photography.
- 23 year experience since graduation
- 13 years experience and training in UK
- Over 5 years experience in specialized liver services and liver transplantation – Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana (Punjab)
- Over 5000 specialized Liver, Pancreas and Gall Bladder and Gastro cancer surgeries including liver transplantation (started live donor liver transplantation in Punjab)
Area of Expertise
- Liver transplantation and care of Cirrhosis
- Liver cancer and complex liver surgery
- Pancreas and gall bladder surgery
- Gastro cancer (bowel cancer surgery)
- Complex abdominal surgeries
Conferences & Courses Attended
- Over 100 national and international conferences as Faculty
- Previously been an MBBS examiner for Leeds Medical School and faculty in Royal College of Surgeons facilitated courses
- One of the founding members of the Liver Transplant Society of India
- Medical Council of India, Punjab Medical Council, General Medical Council (UK)
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland