Asthma Day Campaign
SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IF YOUR CHILD HAS THE FOLLOWING SYMPTOMS
- Frequent coughing
- Shortness of breath
- Chest congestion or tightness
- A whistling or wheezing sound when breathing out
SPS Hospitals, Ludhiana is commemorating World Asthma Day (WAD) to raise awareness about asthma and its management throughout the world. Every year on the first Tuesday in May, SPS Hospitals commemorates Asthma Day. Throughout the world, events are held to encourage asthma patients to keep their condition under control.
- Asthma affects 235 million people worldwide, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
- One of the most common non-communicable disease is asthma. It’s also the most frequent chronic illness among kids.
- Asthma cannot be cured, but it can be controlled and patients can live a decent quality of life with proper care.
- Some children with milder kinds of asthma do not have symptoms as they grow older, although symptoms might reappear without warning.
What is Asthma?
Asthma is a chronic lung illness marked by repeated bouts of shortness of breath, wheezing, chest tightness, and cough that vary in onset, severity, and frequency over time. The lining of the airways swells during an asthma attack, narrowing the airways and limiting the flow of air into and out of the lungs.
Although the actual aetiology of asthma is unknown, genetic factors in combination with environmental exposure to specific inhaled compounds have been discovered to be risk factors for having asthma. House dust, mites in beds, carpets, and stuffed furniture; pollution and pet dander; pollen and moulds; cigarette smoke; chemical irritants in the workplace are all significant risk factors.
Asthma symptoms can be reduced with regular exercise. Physical activities are just as vital for people with asthma as they are for those who do not have asthma, however asthma control must come first. Asthma affects people from many walks of life, including sports, leaders, celebrities, and everyday people, and with effective asthma control, they may live successful and active lives.