The Department of Neonatology is dedicated to promoting the health and well-being of the newly born infant. It provides comprehensive care for premature babies, low birth weight babies and high risk full term infants. The care for critically ill and premature infants, as well as those who simply need special observation is the aim of the Department of Neonatology. The department works in collaboration with the Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology to assure a successful transition from the intrauterine environment.
The mission of the department also includes education and supporting the community with opportunities for continuing education through Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP). The Department of Neonatology also boasts of academic excellence through its Fellowship in Neonatology through National Neonatology Forum.
The Department of Neonatology offers comprehensive neonatal diagnostic and treatment facilities for critically ill newborns. It follows a multidisciplinary approach dedicated to providing the highest quality care for all newborns, ranging from healthy neonates to sick or premature newborns requiring close observation or intensive care. The services offered include:
- Neonatal intensive and special care
- Attendance at all deliveries in the hospital and well baby care for all normal newborns
- Breast feeding support for all mothers through Lactation Nurse program
- Transport of sick newborns from all over the state and beyond
- Elective / emergency neonatal surgeries with pre and post operative care
- Antenatal consultation for high risk pregnancies and diagnosed birth defects
- Preconceptional genetic counseling in association with Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Universal neonatal hearing and metabolic screening
- High risk follow up services including physiotherapy, Developmental assessment and early stimulation.
- Retinopathy of Prematurity screening and vision assessment for all preterm babies
- Care of babies with congenital heart diseases by multidisciplinary team including paediatric cardiologist and paediatric cardiothoracic surgeon.
The neonatal and obstetrics and gynaecology units work closely together. Difficult pregnancies are discussed and the delivery is planned in such a manner as to benefit both mother and baby. The unit conducts regular antenatal classes for expectant mothers in association with department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Antenatal classes cover the pregnancy, childbirth, breast feeding and care of the newborn.
- Open Care Systems for every newborn in NICU
- Pulse oximeter for every bed
- Multi channel monitors including invasive blood pressure monitoring
- Infusion pumps for IV fluid and drug administration
- Giraffee OMNISED for the care of extremely preterm neonates <28 weeks of gestation.
- Dedicated Neonatal Ventilator (SIMV + HFO)
- Nasal CPAP & HFNC Respiratory Support
- Blood Gas Analyzer
- Transport Incubator
- CFL Phototherapy
- Laminar flow for parenteral nutrition
- Portable X-ray, ultrasound and Echocardiography round the clock
- Facilities for peritoneal dialysis
- NABH Accredited Laboratory and Blood Bank Services
- Mira Cradle for therapeutic hypothermia
- KMC room & milk expression area